The computer-based study programme allows you to study for the PRINCE2® Foundation and Practitioner exams in your own time. Exams are held in South Africa and numerous other African countries. Classroom-based PRINCE2® training is also available in major centres in South Africa.
What is PRINCE2®?
PRINCE2® is an internationally recognised Project Management methodology* which is widely used in public sector organisations and in private sector companies in many industries. It provides a structured framework for Project Management and project governance with a clear definition of roles and of the steps and processes that should be followed to ensure that projects are accountably managed. Project Management tools and techniques such as those described in the PMI®‘s PMBOK® Guide can be used within the PRINCE2® methodology. PRINCE2® is the de facto standard for Project Management in the UK.
What PRINCE2® certifications are there?
Numerous PRINCE2® certifications address various roles in the management and support of projects, programmes and portfolios. For most people, the starting point is:
- PRINCE2® Foundation: For those who manage projects and for project support staff.
- PRINCE2® Practitioner: For those who manage projects, as well as for those responsible for bringing about the organisational changes required to manage projects according to a formal methodology.
Additional PRINCE2® training and exams (e.g. MSP® and PRINCE2 Agile®) can be arranged upon request. Contact us for details.
Who should get a PRINCE2® certification?
We recommend PRINCE2® certification for:
- A project manager with competencies in all three dimensions of the Project Manager Competency Development Framework (PMCDF), who seeks employment in an organisation which has implemented PRINCE2®.
- A strategic manager in an organisation on Level 2 or above on a typical Project Management maturity scale.
- Someone involved in project management or project support and administration in an organisation where PRINCE2® or ITIL standards are used.
- An independent management consultant who is already well versed in the requirements for effective organisational Project Management.
What prerequisites are there for PRINCE® certification?
Unlike the PMP® credential, there are no formal prerequisites for PRINCE® Foundation and Practitioner. However, we strongly recommend that you do not spend money on certification unless you meet the following criteria. (Although you could certainly pass the exam without this background, your learning would simply not add great value to your actual work.)
- You have several years of work experience in the management of projects.
- You have practically implemented formal Project Management tools and techniques such as risk identification, activity-based costing or stakeholder analysis in your own work.
- You’re good at business writing.
- You’re a competent user of project scheduling software such as Primavera, Sciforma or Microsoft Project.
- You’re a manager or project manager in an organisation which is either already using PRINCE2®, or where you’re in a position to influence the vision and strategy of the organisation, and to change the authority structure.
What if you don’t meet these criteria?
PRINCE2® Passport Self-Study Course
Features and benefits
- Based on established and proven APM Group accredited materials developed by SPOCE.
- Provides flexibility for those wishing to study at a time, pace and place convenient to them.
- Browser-based, giving you the freedom to use either a DVD or the Internet from any location.
- Over 90% of people who write the Practitioner exam after studying with these materials pass the exam.
- A cost-effective solution for both individuals and organisations.
- PRINCE2® Passport contains learning modules for both Foundation & Practitioner study, so there is no need to purchase additional learning materials for progressing from Foundation to Practitioner.
- The accredited e-learning can also be used to support your claim for up to 30 Category-C PDUs for the Continuing Certification Requirements Scheme (CCRS) of the PMI®.
Study materials (included)
- 12 modules with associated interactive lessons
- Video presentations for each lesson
- Notes to support each lesson and references to the PRINCE2® Manual for additional reading
- Online support forums and online chat
- PRINCE2® Foundation and Practitioner exam simulations with feedback
- Interactive exercises to consolidate the learning
- Extensive Exam Approaches module to support the new Objective Testing Practitioner Exam
- Progress reporting facility
- Module level exam simulation directly aligned to the PRINCE2® syllabus (PRINCE2® Foundation and Practitioner exams)
- Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2® (Manual, 327 pages). This is the official PRINCE2® reference manual used by PRINCE2® Practitioners. It lists and describes all the roles, processes, techniques, and other aspects of the PRINCE2® methodology.
How much study time is needed?
To complete the Foundation level, 25 hours should be committed to the learning. Practitioner level requires approximately 50-60 hours of self-study. This study will be a mixture of computer-based training using the CD, reference to the Manual and other documentation, and completion of the Practical Tasks. Depending on other commitments, you will require anything from 4 weeks to 12 months to complete this learning.
Purchasing a Passport Self-Study Course provides you with a license to use PRINCE2® Passport for a period of 12 months from the date of purchase. During this period, the product is supported to ensure that the content is consistent with the APM Group syllabus. The license can be extended for an additional 12 months for 50% of the published price at the time of renewal.
The Foundation and Practitioner exams are valid for 12 months from the date of the initial purchase. It is advisable to identify a date for completion of the self-study to help focus on completion. In any case, you will need to confirm your exam date a minimum of 3 weeks prior to the chosen date.
Options and fees
There are three self-study options to choose from:
PRINCE2® Classroom Course
This course is actually two courses in one, delivered by an by an accredited trainer over a total of 4½ days by an accredited trainer. The Foundation course is delivered over 3 days, with the exam on day 3. The trainer marks the exam in class, and upon passing, you proceed to the Practitioner part of the course, which is delivered over the next 1½ days, with the exam on the last day of the course. Your answer booklet is then sealed and sent away to be marked. Find out more about the exam.